END COMMON CORE MA is a group of citizen activists and legislators opposed to the unproven Common Core standards and PARCC tests. We have launched the END COMMON CORE MA initiative ballot petition. Our goal is to move Massachusetts forward and restore the pre-Common Core, proven Massachusetts Standards.
FACTS ABOUT COMMON CORE STANDARDS:
1. “The Common Core represents the ideas of several national organizations (of governors and school officials) about what and how children should learn.” George F. Will, The Washington Post, Doubts over Common Core 1/15/14
2. A VERY SMALL GROUP UNELECTED OFFICIALS CHANGED OUR EDUCATIONAL STANDARDS IN MA – In 2010, the Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE) chose to adopt Common Core standards without the knowledge and approval of parents, teachers, local school committees, and/or the state legislature.
3. COMMON CORE ON COLLEGE READINESS – “Common Core’s “college readiness” standards for English language arts and reading do not aim for a level of achievement that signifies readiness for authentic college-level work. They point to no more than readiness for a high school diploma (and possibly not even that . . .). Despite claims to the contrary, they are not internationally benchmarked,” says Sandra Stotsky, a respected expert who helped develop the Massachusetts standards and a member of the Common Core’s Validation Committee from 2009-2010. Read More Here
4. TEACHERS UNIONS ARE RESISTING – The National Education Association describes Common Core standards as “botched” – Massachusetts Teachers Association’s President Barbara Madeloni is adamantly opposed to it.
5. INCREASED DATA COLLECTION – Common Core/PARCC will collect over 400 elements of personal information on each student including family income, religion, health care and disciplinary history. It will be shared with the government and private industry without the knowledge or permission of parents and be used to steer students to career paths that bureaucrats think students are best suited – not to what parents and students prefer.
MORE FACTS ABOUT COMMON CORE/PARCC coming soon.